Thursday, July 22, 2010

Look At My Briefs -- 7/22/10

It's hot out and I'm sweating and itching in places I didn't know I had. There is but one solution and that is another edition of my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

Is a society truly free if you can't watch gay zombies having sex? I say Hell No!

It's Comic-Con time which means there's lots of big news in various forms of entertainment to report. However, since I was unable to go this year, I choose not to report on any of it and instead curse the very idea of Comic-Con and all that is associated with it. I may report if the Comic-Con building burns up and there are no reported survivors but that's about it.

Attention world: no, Bill Murray did not think that Garfield was written by the Coen brothers. This is what is known in some cultures as a joke, something Bill Murray has occasionally been known for. I've seen so many morons, especially on Twitter, who think he actually believed that.

Pretty much all I've heard up till now about Darren Aronofsky's The Black Swan is that it has a sex scene between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman. This Variety article gives at least a few more details about the rest of the movie but all I really wanted to know about was the sex scene so I didn't pay attention. Another movie mentioned is one I'm especially looking forward to called The Town, directed by Ben Affleck. I (along with pretty much everyone who's seen it) loved Affleck's first directorial effort Gone Baby Gone and The Town, if the early buzz is to be believed, looks to be better. I think it was Leverage creator John Rogers who said on his Twitter feed that anyone who's done both Gone Baby Gone and The Town should be recognized as one of our great directors. I'm happy about this because I always liked Affleck and thought that those who have written him off as a has-been were way off base. Then again, no one forced him to do Paycheck or Pearl Harbor but he's not doing those anymore. Now he's doing stuff like The Town and hopefully this will keep him from being a joke on South Park*.

Supposedly, the new Star Trek film goes into production next year. The fact that they have a day to start production but no script and no director gives me nothing but optimism for the project. I'm just curious if it will be this or the next sequel in which Chris Pine will be forced by the producers to start wearing a toupee and a girdle.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was great in The Lookout, great in 500 Days of Summer and great in Inception. Gee, I wonder how he'll do as the Riddler on the next Nolan-directed Batman movie. Really kind of hard to say. Seriously though, the Riddler is famous but he's more of an "in it for the money" villain unlike the Joker or Two-Face, both of whom were used up in the last movie. Considering how, at this pace, the next movie won't be out until 2028, the filmmakers have plenty of time to figure this out.

Nice to see that The Last Airbender is coming back. No, not as a dark and unpleasant live action film but as it was originally intended, an animated series on Nickelodeon. I just hope The Village, Lady in the Water and The Happening don't also wind up as new animated series.

*The makers of South Park have given us such wonderful live action films as Baseketball and Orgasmo so they certainly do have the street cred to take down that uppity Affleck.

No comments: