Thursday, January 6, 2011

Look At My Briefs -- 1/6/11

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I'm sure that by now you've all recovered from any lingering after effects of that wonderful holiday. You may have a drunkenly conceived baby on the way but it'll be weeks before you know about that. To take your mind off it, why not read another edition of my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

Number one on this list, Game of Thrones, is the only one that really catches my attention. The idea of a modern classic fantasy novel being adapted for HBO makes me tingle and not because it could get the True Blood treatment and be full of boobs. Fringe is watchable but I really couldn't care less about it. Mildred Pierce and Luck hold promise, of course, but they don't cause curiosity in me. I'll watch Roger Ebert's new show, of course. I'm just happy the new season of American Idol didn't make the list.

The new lead actress in the Spider-Man musical looks so sweet and pretty. It's a shame that her very presence in that show means she's doomed.

One of the few reasons to see either Clash of the Titans or Prince of Persia was that they both starred sexy British actress Gemma Arterton. This is why I'm pleased to see that she is set to make a new version of Hansel and Gretel the very first cinematic version of that fairy tale that can be called "boner worthy". The Brothers Grimm would be so happy right now.

If Hallie Steinfeld gets a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Mattie in True Grit, it will be one of the worst nominations in history. That's because, as this Hollywood Reporter article points out, she should get a nomination for Best Actress. Mattie wasn't just the female lead of the movie. She was the main character and it's every other character in the movie, including Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn, that is supporting her. From beginning to end, the movie is Mattie's story. Same deal with the book as its original cover art clearly shows. Most people think the title refers to Rooster Cogburn but, in the end, it's Mattie who has true grit. I know the producers and her handlers want to up the chances of a nomination but the girl was great and deserves her shot at the Best Actress nod.

Two other True Grit items. One: it turns out that it has become the Coen brothers most financially successful movie ever. It's not their best film but it's still good news and well deserved. Two: Ethan Coen's son, Buster, is only 15 but he's already my hero.

I'm assuming reality itself is messing with me now.

The answer to this question is, "Not jizz in their pants the way everyone at Big Hollywood will."

The link in this article to the Red Band trailer of the new Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman comedy No Strings Attached was apparently pulled by the producers. When you try to start it, it says it was pulled off YouTube. It was very cagey of the producers to do that because, if they hadn't, their movie may have gotten free publicity and more people would have gone to see it.

Personally, I think Betty White should be worked to death and then shot by a one eyed Jeff Bridges. I can't be the only one who thinks that, right?

No comments: