Thursday, June 17, 2010

Look At My Briefs -- 6/17/10

Oh Lord, is it Thursday already? Pretty soon I'll be forced to stop working and take the weekend off. I suppose I can console myself by doing another edition of my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

The 50th anniversary of Psycho was this week. That's a movie that still holds up today in terms of entertainment value, an opinion shared by most fans of quality films and not shared by those who think old time black and white movies are gay. I feel sorry for people who've never seen it as they probably already know the surprise ending. The same is true for new viewers of The Usual Suspects, The Empire Strikes Back and The Sixth Sense. If you're looking for decent surprise endings that aren't widely know, you can try Shutter Island or Vanilla Sky. If you're looking for a movie that's pretty damn good whether you know what's coming or not, though, I can still recommend Psycho.

I am not Not NOT looking forward to this upcoming Wizard of Oz prequel. The fact that it will be directed by Sam Raimi and have Robert Downey Jr. as the titular character does nothing to ease my belief that this is one of the most unnecessary movie ideas in history. There are approximately one bazillion Oz books, some of which even surpass Wizard of Oz in quality, that would make wonderful movies. I'm honestly wondering if anyone involved with this project even knows that.

I'd suspect that the non-release of the Red Dawn remake has less to do with any sort of liberal conspiracy and more to do with the fact that it's one of those movies that turned out so horribly that the studio now has no idea what to do with it. I base this opinion on the fact that it has a stupid plot and that the 1980s original was mind numbingly idiotic.

Speaking of mind numbingly idiotic, looks like a movie version of Atlas Shrugged will finally be made. If you're neither a Ayn Rand worshiper, a woman who herself worshiped a serial killer, or some poor sap who was forced to read this damn thing in school, it's the story of a guy named John Galt who's tired of watching the world's elite industrialists get pushed around and convinces them to go on strike, an act that devastates the planet. Love this book or hate it, I think most people would probably admit that it's what's known as unfilmable. Still, I'm sure if anyone could get this whipped together into something entertaining, it's an inexperienced director working with a $5 million budget and one of the actors from One Tree Hill. Writing all this reminded me that, a few years ago, there were plans to go all out with this project and the producers had even managed to snag Angelina Jolie for the leading role of Dagny Taggart. I guess they decided Angelina didn't have what it took and decided to go with an unknown from the now-canceled show Mercy instead.

On a final note, I will leave you with what may be the stupidest fucking idea for a disaster movie in the history of fucking stupid disaster movie ideas. I'm shocked that Uwe Boll had nothing to do with this.

No comments: