Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oscar Wrapup

Well, that's that for another year. Here are a few random thoughts and observations.

Anne Hathaway was pretty good. James Franco inspired a million well deserved Twitter jokes about looking stoned. I wonder if anyone had the guts to mention that in the graduate class that James Franco teaches about himself. The show itself had a few decent moments but, taken in its entirety, it looks like they hired Max Bialystock to produce it.

I don't mind that The King's Speech won as it's a wonderful film. It certainly wasn't my choice for Best Picture though. I personally put Inception, The Social Network and Winter's Bone above King's Speech. Winter's Bone especially is the one I'd have liked to have seen take home the gold just because it was really the little movie that could. It's also a movie that everyone, no matter who they are or where they come from, seems to like when they get around to seeing it. The same goes for Winter's Bone actress Jennifer Lawrence. I don't want to trash Natalie Portman but I think Jennifer Lawrence's performance was nearly perfect. She really is a rising talent and could rise to the highest echelons of the acting profession. By the way, anyone know where to find naked pictures of her?

The Best Foreign Language Film category lost all credibility when they failed to nominate Human Centipede.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I was talking about when I tweeted this:

Sadly, it could have been any number of things.

I congratulate Banksy for showing restraint in not tagging the entire city of Los Angeles after Exit Through The Gift Shop failed to win for Best Documentary. I was really rooting for that one, mainly because it was the only nominated documentary I had seen.

Best Animated Film was created so Pixar could win Oscars so it's no surprise that Pixar won for Toy Story 3. I just hope they aren't so arrogant that they're wasting time writing the acceptance speech for a Cars 2 victory.

I can't remember who it was that was lecturing the audience to see more short films but he/she/it was right. It really is a shame that we don't see more short films as some of them are wonderful. What's even more of a shame is that, in a few years, those who were nominated this year for Short Film Oscars will make deals to direct Dwayne Johnson in Squadron Cathouse, a movie that has Johnson playing a former Navy SEAL who's now in charge of taking a group of prostitutes and molding them into an elite fighting force.

In closing, I was reminded last night of something my father said to me when I left home. "Son," he said, "always bet on lesbian ballet dancers." Turns out Dad was wrong. His other piece of advice, "Always wear a cup," did turn out to be right so you're batting .500, Dad.

No comments: