Thursday, May 13, 2010

Look At My Briefs -- 5/13/10

Today is Thursday the 13th. Is that as bad as Friday the 13th? Just to be safe, I'd better do the one thing guaranteed to ward off bad luck. What is that, you ask? It's another edition of my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

Tomorrow's the premiere of the new Ridley Scott directed Robin Hood with Russell Crowe in the title role. I plan to spend the entire time in the theater Googling the movie's historical inaccuracies and shouting them out to the audience at the top of my lungs. "HEY, THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE. KING JOHN ONLY TAXED WHEAT, NOT ALL GRAINS." This will be so much fun for my fellow movielovers. I encourage all of you to do the same.

Trying to follow the success of Book of Eli, the makers of that movie have cast Kurt Russell in their new supernatural thriller Undying. What really caught my eye in that Hollywood Reporter story was this passage:
Media 8 is handling worldwide sales in Cannes, while Gersh's Jay Cohen and CAA are handling sales for North America.

The CAA-repped Russell most recently starred in "Death Proof," "Poseidon" and "Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story."
Golly, Kurt Russell, it's no wonder you followed the advice of the guys who got you cast in that string of mega-hits. Yes, Kurt, you definitely want to keep your wagon hitched to that star. Judging solely by this bit of information, I'm sure Undying will be the biggest hit ever.

After all these years, Lost is finally answering questions. This week, we finally found out that a vaguely defined power must be protected from unnamed enemies. That was worth six years.

I'm assuming the focus groups used to determine which clips would be used when putting together the trailer for Grown Ups were made up entirely of nine year olds. You can tell because only nine year olds would think that putting the pool pissing scene in the ad for the movie was a good idea. It's not a funny scene, especially since it's obvious it's going to happen the moment the little girl points out to Kevin James that swimming pools have a chemical in them that turns urine blue. I fear that will be a typical scene since this is a movie made by Adam Sandler and his buddies and movies that can be described like that are some of the worst movies ever made.

Andy Rooney this past Sunday bitched at the Billboard Top 200 for not having anyone he's ever heard of in it. He tried desperately to find a reason other than the fact that he's an old man who has no interest in contemporary music. This perfectly normal state of affairs utterly baffles him. What I found interesting, though, is that Rooney made basically the same complaint in the mid 80s. Prince won an Oscar for Best Soundtrack for his movie Purple Rain and, then as now, Andy Rooney used his spot on 60 Minutes to vent his annoyance to the world that there was a super famous musician out there that he had never heard of. He's truly grown as a writer. I suppose I should keep this on file for when he does the same rant in a few years.

No comments: