Thursday, October 7, 2010

Look At My Briefs -- 10/7/10

It's cold and rainy today where I live. That means it's an excellent day to dress warmly, get a cup of cocoa and curl up with a good book. You, however, have chosen to chuck the book part and instead read another edition of my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

I normally don't concern myself with how much a movie made or lost but it's really too bad that more people didn't go to see Let Me In. It's such a well made film and I thought it would come in at a decent second or third after The Social Network last week but, as you can see if you clicked the link, it didn't. I realize my influence over a film's audience pretty much only works on me but, if you're in the mood to see a decent horror film, Let Me In would be an excellent choice. If not, well, it really is a shame if you don't.

Speaking of The Social Network, a backlash has sprung up against it. The two most common complaints are its lack of historical accuracy and how it's not really about Facebook but Cinematical had an article saying it doesn't truly define a generation. I find this argument pointless since I'm of the opinion that no movie, be it American Graffiti or The Breakfast Club, has ever truly defined a generation. One worry I have is that this backlash, especially the accusations that it smeared the parties involved, could cost it Oscar nominations.

Here's a bit of good news if you're anything like me and were dreading the return of Superman to the big screen. 300/Watchmen director Zack Snyder will be in charge of the next version. I'm hoping they don't feel the need to once again cast Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, the role she played in Superman Returns. I like Kate Bosworth but she was a poor choice on an epic scale to play Lois Lane for several reasons starting with the fact that she was too young. I'd cast Kate Beckinsale but then again I would cast Kate Beckinsale in just about everything including Yentl.

Another good bit of superhero movie news is that Darren Aronofsky will probably be directing Wolverine 2. I honestly believe that he couldn't do a worse job than was done with the first Wolverine movie which means the sequel will almost surely look incredible in comparison to the first. That's an admirable position for a filmmaker to be in and makes me think I should direct the next Twilight movie as I would be called a genius filmmaker no matter what I did. I can guarantee if I did that, hardcore Twi-heads would hate but everyone else would cheer when Edward got staked by Blade.

Or maybe I could build my reputation on the next Transformers movie but, unfortunately, Michael Bay has insisted on keeping control of that franchise for now. They've even come up with a title that is 100% guaranteed to make no one who wasn't planning to see it change their minds.

Doctor Who is my favorite show. Neil Gaiman is my favorite writer. The fact that the BBC is getting their Gaiman in my Who means they've figured out how to make two great tastes go great together. Gaiman's vague spoilers will be more than enough to keep Doctor Who fans arguing for months about what's going to happen and man oh man are they going to be upset when they find out that he obviously means that the Master is returning wearing a Dalek suit of armor in order to help the Sontarans conquer the Earth. I mean, really, it's obvious to anyone who reads it.

No comments: