Thursday, November 4, 2010

Look At My Briefs -- 11/4/10

It's a new Dawn, it's a new day and while I can't say I'm feeling good, I am feeling good enough to present another edition of my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

My God, people, NO the woman in this Charlie Chaplin movie is not a cell phone using time traveler. Did anyone really need to be given some sort of alternative before making that the default position?

They say there are no new ideas but will these mysterious "they" people keep saying that when they discover that Roland Emmerich is working on an alien invasion movie? I mean, sure, he's done that before but this time around it will be shot as if it were "found footage" shot by the characters themselves so that's new. Right? Oh hell, maybe the aliens will be wearing hats this time around.

I'd always assumed the creation of Dancing With The Stars came about when deals with the devil were struck that involved the gates of Hell opening and this show being vomited up from the bowels of Perdition itself but it turns out that wasn't the case.

Sure, Saw 3D had a $24 million opening BUT, once again, this franchise was beaten when Paranormal Activity 2 scored a $42 million opening the week before. We all the producers of the Paranormal Activity films a huge debt though I'd say that debt has been repaid and then some by giving these low budget films huge box office grosses though I also, on behalf of the American people, want to extend to them the thanks of a grateful nation.

I know I just talked about a movie's box office gross but I normally try to stay away from the subject. I consider that to be none of my concern. It doesn't affect a film's quality and the only reason I care about it would be if I wanted the makers of a film I liked to be able to make another one. I really don't want to be the kind of person who gets any sense of validation from the fact that I liked a movie that also made a lot of money. That being said, I gave a positive review to The Walking Dead and that show has become a huge ratings hit. This means that I WAS RIGHT I WAS RIGHT WOO HOO YES YES WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! What? I'm validating myself using television ratings, not box office gross. Those two are completely different.

Seriously, join the rest of the world and watch The Walking Dead. It's very cool and these high ratings will lead to a second season.

At this point, it seems like some sort of natural law violation for Katherine Heigl to star in a decent movie but this one, at least, looks different. Still, with Heigl involved, studios will probably want to completely rewrite the script and make the character a plucky career gal who just can't seem to find the right guy. At least that would seem normal.

No comments: