Friday, November 14, 2008

Closing My Eyes And Thinking Of England

Ok, they did it. I didn't think it was possible but the makers of Quantum Of Solace have actually managed to raise my expectations. I'm actually thinking that this will be a good movie and not in the "Ooh, pretty explosions" kind of good but good in the "Hell yeah, that raw tuna eating bastard Kurosawa only WISHED he had made something this good" kind of way. This annoys me for two reasons. The first is that, for several weeks, I've been planning to call my review of the movie "Quantum Of Sol-Ass" in anticipation of it sucking. I don't know what the hell I'll call it now.

The second reason is that, since I now think it will be good, I'll be even more pissed if it turns out to be bad. Before, my attitude would have been, "Well, there's two hours of my life I'll never get back." Now, only the physical pain from an actual kick to the gonads will be able to alleviate the existential pain I'll experience from the metaphorical kick to the gonads I will receive if Quantum Of Solace turns out to suck.

It's getting decent reviews but but some critics are underwhelmed. Internet comments from people who have already seen it are no help. For every "OMFG THIS IS MOST AWESOMEST MOVEE EVER" you get a "this is the gayest, most retarded thing i have ever seen" and you can't even read those without plowing through all the guys who feel they have to share "Man, Olga Kurylenko is awesome, I want to cum on her tits" with the world.

Maybe I'll just skip it and never risk having my expectations dashed. It's like how I've never read Isaac Asimov's Forward The Foundation even though it's been sitting on my bookshelf for 15 years. I would just hate if what was not only Asimov's last Foundation story but also his last novel ever turned out to be a total steaming pile of crap. But no, I'll go see it and, if it does turn out to be bad, I'll try to post a review before the last drop of blood flows out from my slashed wrists.

The things I do for you people.

No comments: