Friday, March 13, 2009

A Mixture Of Tids And Bits

There are loads of subjects for which I can't come up with enough material to devote a full post. If only I could do a post that's a mixture of short subjects. Oh wait, I CAN do that. In your face, loyal readership!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All these years, I never knew that Last House On The Left took its plot from an Ingmar Bergman film. I guess it shouldn't surprise me too much. I've seen Jane Austen and Shakespeare remade as teen sex comedies so why should Bergman be spared? Still, it was rather jarring to find that out. Bergman's Virgin Spring was based on an old Swedish story about a girl who is raped and murdered which causes her father to avenge her death when the killers show up at his house offering to sell him his own daughter's clothing. This, obviously, is how Last House On The Left can say they're not lying when they make the bullshit claim that the film is, "based on a true story." If I ever sit down and write a book called How To Watch Movies Like Mike Does Rule #1 will be: "Know that when a horror movie claims it's based on a true story, you are watching a work of such complete fiction that you should be skeptical if the movie is set on Earth." Rule #2? Always wear pants. Maybe the need for that rule is just my problem.

I've also never seen Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage. I wonder if Friday the 13th was based on that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of Friday the 13th, that was going to be the title of today's post because, well, look at your calendar. I changed my mind because of this. That link leads to something I titled The Reader and it holds the record at this site for most pageloads. People go looking for information on that Kate Winslet movie and find this, something that was called The Reader as a joke. I've thought of taking it down but Google would probably just take people to its cache of the page if I did and I do love those big hit numbers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer the question asked in this link's headline: NO NO NO PLEASE GOD A THOUSAND TIMES NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

On the off chance that the link didn't work for you the question was: Is Another RIDDICK Movie On The Way??

Pitch Black was a decent movie. This spawned a sequel, The Chronicles of Riddick, which was the exact opposite of a decent movie. The good news is that it's really, really easy for projects like this to get derailed for reasons as varied as script problems to a bird chirping too loudly when the studio execs are trying to make up their minds about greenlighting it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, shouldn't you get your second movie done before worrying about who's going to direct your third? Just asking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for all that, "We swear #3 is the last one," crap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, the Star Trek movie looks like it may actually be pretty good. This trailer has moved me into the "cautiously optimistic" category. We'll know in another two months. Until then...

No comments: