Monday, March 16, 2009

Saturday Night Dive

I don't have much time to write today so I'll just say this: how much longer can Saturday Night Live have one clunker episode after another before someone says, "Uh, maybe we shouldn't have one clunker episode after another?" From what I understand, only 1 out of every 10 pitched ideas gets the go-ahead to be fleshed out into a full sketch. That means that there were 9 ideas worse than this:



They used to do that Brian Fellows sketch all the time when Tracy Morgan was a regular cast member and it always sucked so I guess someone there must have said, "The odds that it will be good are bound to change in our favor this time around, right?" Even Morgan's mastery of the "dim witted, possibly high" character he always plays in everything he does isn't enough to overcome the "tell the same joke over and over again" comedy formula that the folks behind SNL embraced years ago, a formula that they decided to double down on when they wrote this piece of crap:



"Huuuhh?" "Hrrrrmmm." "Uh huh!" People got paid huge sums of money to write that. Last but most certainly least, we have something that could have been written by a computer:



This is the point in the show where I asked myself, "Why do I still watch this show?" and erased it off my DVR. I have no idea if it got better after that and I don't want to know so don't tell me.

On 30 Rock this week, Alec Baldwin's Jack Donaghy character stole away the people who write the fictional sketch comedy show produced by Tina Fey's Liz Lemon. His solution to her dilemma is that she just write all the sketches herself, which she does. I thought that was a thoroughly unbelievable situation until I saw this week's SNL. I now see it as the only plausible explanation for why the show has blown goats (with the exception of Tina Fey's Sarah Palin sketches) all season long.

2 comments:

FM said...

This article would be much more demonstrative if Hulu worked in Canada.

Which it does not.

I suppose I'll have to take your word for it, given how that's what I do as your faithful reader anyway. I mean, you have a blog on the Internet. Of course you're right!

Unknown said...

Sorry, didn't know Hulu didn't work in Canada. I'd originally planned to write detailed descriptions of each video but, as I said at the start of the article, I didn't have much time. It probably wouldn't have helped you anyway as the sketches were in English and not in your native language, Canadese.