Thursday, June 25, 2009

Look At My Briefs -- 6/25/09

What a lovely day it is here in northern New York. The clear skies and refreshing breeze make me think that today is the perfect day to sit in a dark room and write another edition of Look At My Briefs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

By Johnny Depp/Tim Burton standards, this is surprisingly restrained.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It was an interesting experience last weekend to be in a theater when the trailer for New Moon came on. Not being a fan of the first film, I very quietly groaned at the thought of this one. However, I could hear teenage girls literally squealing with delight when Robert Pattinson came onscreen*. It got even worse during Taylor Lautner's shirtless scene. I then had to accept that this whole Twilight thing isn't going to end anytime soon. I could drop out of society and live in the woods were it not for the fear I would meet some pretty boy emo vampire with glistening skin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking as the only guy on the planet who liked The Happening, is M. Night Shyamalan going to make a movie that doesn't cause the planet to unite with one voice and yell, "YOU SUCK!" at the screen? Maybe. I wonder if it was the marketing department's idea to slap Shyamalan's name all over the title or if the director himself insisted on getting all the credit for what is a cinematic adaptation of someone else's idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Man oh man, Transformers is getting some brutal reviews. Ebert slapped it with one star and even that seemed to be generous on his part. Don't these people know that this is a fun movie? This makes me feel sorry for all the people who stayed up late to see the midnight premiere. It also makes me revel in my superior judgment since I was going to do that then changed my mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On the bright side, Cameron Diaz can now brag that she has the best reviewed major release of the week. Not much to brag about really since her rating could have been in the low 20s and she still could have said she was in the best reviewed major release of the week. Still, you take what you can get especially when you know that your well reviewed drama is going to be crushed by some moronic movie about giant super robots who need some dweeb with a funny name and his hot girlfriend to save them.


* I should say "appeared onscreen" instead. The word "came" is more akin to what the girls were doing.

No comments: