Thursday, March 11, 2010

Look At My Briefs -- 3/11/10

It's been two fun filled days since I lasted posted anything of substance. I can't think of a better way to come back than with my brief comments on various subjects I like to call Look At My Briefs.

Variety fired Todd McCarthy, it's chief film critic of over 30 years. If they think this act will push their profit margin back in the black, why not just fire all their reporters and make their paper a giant book of ads while also doubling the cover price? They'd make a fortune then. Other people do what you guys do, Variety. If you don't offer the public something unique such as, let's say, distinct and well known talent, why on Earth would anyone bother to go to your publication? I, personally, don't see myself ever even looking at Variety again.

Okay, um, just ignore that last sentence. According to Variety, Corey Haim has passed away at the age of 38. Drug addiction is a horrible thing, folks. I'm hoping I won't have to read a similar article about people like Lindsay Lohan in a few years. Little known fact: back in the 80s Corey Haim, Corey Feldman and I were known as the Three Coreys. They stopped hanging out with me when they found out my name wasn't Corey. It was fun while it lasted though. Farewell, Corey Haim. Thou shalt not fall...crryyyy little sister...

I usually like the MTV Movies Blog though I can't say that about this particular post. They have a 10 second advance clip of the new Twilight film but you have to watch a one minute commercial to access it. Classy, MTV. I'll save you the time. Edward and Jacob both mope around expressing their love for Bella in a way indistinguishable from the way a sufferer of clinical depression would do so. Bella, meanwhile, stares stone faced at both of them with her mouth open making one wonder when exactly drool will start dribbling out and...that's it. I'm happy to have saved you the time.

I've never been a huge fan of Tron. Thus, it's a mystery as to why I'm looking forward to the upcoming Tron Legacy coming out in December. This trailer may have something to do with it. We see that things haven't changed that much in the Tron world since we last saw it. We also see that the Dude abides.

The Hollywood Reporter, also known as one of those publications that does exactly what Variety does but still employs film critics, reports that CBS has renewed Undercover Boss for a second season. I've no idea how that will work. I suspect people will now be suspicious when a 50 year old guy has a film crew tagging along behind him when he shows up to report for his low wage entry level job at a major corporation. I don't watch that show so I don't care all that much.

She's Out Of My League comes tomorrow. I wrote about this under a little subsection called Movies I Haven't Seen though I was really reviewing the trailer. The producers need not worry though. I have no problem putting preconceived notions behind me. I've hated movies I expected to love and vice versa many times. I will enter the theater this weekend as a fair and impartial critic after which I will write a review so scathing it will melt your hard drive. Maybe.

2 comments:

Dan Coyle said...

The reality of Kirsten Stewart actually attempting to plausibly portray Joan Jett is slowly encroaching on us. I may not survive.

Unknown said...

People are saying some nice things about that. I just saw the full length Eclipse trailer though. I have no idea why the artistic decision to have all the characters be clinically depressed was made.