Thursday, December 31, 2009

Look At My Briefs -- New Year's Eve Edition

I'm assuming at least 90% of you are already half in the bag in preparation for tonight which means I could just post random letters vckdnkjsdkkls. See? You drunks probably thought that was my best work. However, I do have a sense of ethics so here is another edition of brief comments on various subjects I call Look At My Briefs.

I just saw a commercial for TNT's broadcast of National Treasure. This made me think of its sequel but, try as I may, I cannot for the life of me remember the plot of National Treasure 2. I consider this to be a good thing.

This trailer for next year's Ridley Scott directed Robin Hood doesn't look that great. People have been comparing it to Gladiator but to me it looks more like Braveheart. The movie itself could still be good but this news from AICN that Scott wants to release it in 3-D makes me like it even less. We won't know till May, of course. There was another item in that same article that made me smile though and that was this Michael Bay quote.
"I prefer the flat screen. I'm not jumping to do 3-D at all-it's a pain in the neck to shoot it and I actually like the flat image. I've heard that some people can't even see 3-D and, moreover, that a major side effect of watching it is feeling exhausted. Can you imagine how you'd feel watching one of my movies in 3-D?"
Yes, Mr. Bay, I can imagine one of your movies in 3-D and your decision not to use it buys you at least a little time in Heaven.

If they start showing it now, 2010's "In Memorium" section of the Oscars would finally finish running just as the rest of the show began.

The editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics says he thinks Iron Man 2 looks to be great and will be beloved by the fans. I'm glad they found a truly unbiased source like Marvel's EiC to give us an opinion like that.

It fascinates me that Sony wouldn't include Moon in their DVD screener package this year. It's nice to see that folks like Neil Gaiman are lending their support to one of 2009's better films. I imagine Sony felt they already had this year's Oscars wrapped up with quality offerings like 2012, The Stepfather and Underworld: Rise of the Lycans and just didn't need to include Moon.

I don't really care if two soulless corporations try to see who can screw more money out of the other. I do know Rupert Murdoch doesn't understand things like new technology, a fact demonstrated in his belief that Google is stealing his content. I have Time Warner Cable and, if Fox does go dark, I will emit a huge yawn and log on to Fox's website, Hulu, or various torrent sites to view anything I may want to watch on Fox. Meanwhile, they'll lose both fees from the cable company and ad dollars generated by literally millions of viewers on TWC. To sum up, Rupert Murdoch thinks the way to riches is to take his stuff off both the world's biggest search engine and one of the country's top cable broadcasters. Good call.


Oh yeah, something hidden in Mount Rushmore. That was National Treasure 2. That was nice while it lasted anyway.

Everyone try to have a Happy New Year and may your 2010 be Squeakquel-free. did I say I wouldn't use that word anymore? I lied.

No comments: